Carlo Buontempo coordinates the activities of a number of international contracts working on the interface between climate science and decision making in sectors ranging from energy to city planning. Carlo completed a PhD in physics at University of L'Aquila in 2004 then he moved to Canada for his post-doc before joining the Met Office.
Carlo worked at the Hadley Centre for almost a decade were he led the climate adaptation team and more recently the climate service development team. In this role he led numerous projects involving climate change adaptation and regional modelling in Europe, Africa, Asia and North
America. In 2012 Carlo became the scientific coordinator of EUPORIAS, and project funded by the European Commission through the 7th framework programme.
Climate projections, monthly to decadal forecasting, climate impacts, regional climate modelling, global climate change; science communication.
- 2012-2016 Manager of the climate services team Met Office Hadley Centre (UK)
- 2011-2012 Manager of the climate adaptation team Met Office Hadley Centre (UK)
- 2007-2010 Senior climate scientist Met Office Hadley Centre (UK)
- 2005-2007 Research Scientist at UK Met Office (UK)
- 2004-2005 Post-doc at York University in Toronto (CAN)
- 2001-2004- PhD in Physics at University of L'Aquila/ CNR ISAC (ITA) with a thesis on the exchanges between stratosphere and troposphere in the proximity of deep convection in the tropics.
- 1999-2001 Research fellowship at CNR-ISAC in Rome (ITA)
- 1998- MSc (Laurea) in physics at University of Rome "La Sapienza" (ITA) with a thesis on the Lidar-based retrieval of liquid water content in clouds using Raman spectroscopy.
- Member of the WMO task team on tailored climate information (TT-TCI)
- Technical expert for H2020 project review
- Fellow of the UK Royal Meteorological Society
- Member of the editorial board of Climate Services