Balthasar Reuter joined ECMWF in 2019 and investigates modern software engineering techniques such as source-to-source translation and code generation to bring performance portability and accelerator readiness into numerical weather prediction models. HIs scientific background is in numerical methods and parallel computing.
- High performance computing and computing on heterogeneous architectures
- Numerical methods for partial differential equations, in particular discontinuous Galerkin methods
- Scientific software development: good practices, effective tooling, modern programming styles
PhD (Dr rer. nat.), Friedrich-Alexander University Erlangen-Nürnberg, Germany (2019). Thesis on "The discontinuous Galerkin method for free surface and subsurface flows in geophysical applications." PhD advisor Prof Dr Peter Knabner, in close collaboration with Prof Dr Vadym Aizinger.
MSc (hons) Computational Engineering, Friedrich-Alexander University Erlangen-Nürnberg, Germany (2013). Thesis on "Coarsening of Simplicial Meshes for Large Scale Parallel FEM Computations with DOLFIN HPC: A parallel implementation of the edge collapse algorithm". Advisor Prof Dr Johan Hoffman.
MSc Scientific Computing, KTH Royal Institute of Technology, Stockholm, Sweden (2013). In collaboration with FAU Erlangen-Nürnberg as part of a double-degree program.
- Balthasar Reuter, Hennes Hajduk, Andreas Rupp, Florian Frank, Vadym Aizinger, Peter Knabner (January 2021) FESTUNG 1.0: Overview, usage, and example applications of the MATLAB/GNU Octave toolbox for discontinuous Galerkin methods, Computers & Mathematics with Applications. DOI: 10.1016/j.camwa.2020.08.018
- (July 2020) FESTUNG: A MATLAB / GNU Octave Toolbox for the Discontinuous Galerkin Method. Part IV: Generic Problem Framework and Model-Coupling Interface, Communications in Computational Physics. DOI: 10.4208/cicp.oa-2019-0132
- (March 2020) The discontinuous Galerkin method for free surface and subsurface flows in geophysical applications.
- Balthasar Reuter, Andreas Rupp, Vadym Aizinger, Peter Knabner (May 2019) Discontinuous Galerkin method for coupling hydrostatic free surface flows to saturated subsurface systems, Computers & Mathematics with Applications n. 9, pp. 2291-2309. DOI: 10.1016/j.camwa.2018.12.020
- Peter Knabner, Balthasar Reuter, Raphael Schulz (March 2019) Mit Mathe richtig anfangen.
- Hennes Hajduk, Ben R. Hodges, Vadym Aizinger, Balthasar Reuter (May 2018) Locally Filtered Transport for computational efficiency in multi-component advection-reaction models, Environmental Modelling & Software, pp. 185-198. DOI: 10.1016/j.envsoft.2018.01.003
- Alexander Jaust, Balthasar Reuter, Vadym Aizinger, Jochen Schütz, Peter Knabner (July 2018) FESTUNG: A MATLAB/GNU Octave toolbox for the discontinuous Galerkin method. Part III: Hybridized discontinuous Galerkin (HDG) formulation, Computers & Mathematics with Applications. DOI: 10.1016/j.camwa.2018.03.045
- Aizinger V., Kosík A., Kuzmin D., Reuter B. (March 2017) Anisotropic slope limiting for discontinuous Galerkin methods, International Journal for Numerical Methods in Fluids. DOI: 10.1002/fld.4360
- Geveler M., Reuter B., Aizinger V., Göddeke D., Turek S. (March 2016) Energy efficiency of the simulation of three-dimensional coastal ocean circulation on modern commodity and mobile processors: A case study based on the Haswell and Cortex-A15 microarchitectures, Computer Science - Research and Development. DOI: 10.1007/s00450-016-0324-5
- Balthasar Reuter, Vadym Aizinger, Manuel Wieland, Florian Frank, Peter Knabner (August 2016) FESTUNG: A MATLAB/GNU Octave toolbox for the discontinuous Galerkin method, Part II: Advection operator and slope limiting, Computers & Mathematics with Applications. DOI: 10.1016/j.camwa.2016.08.006
- Dominik Schoenwetter, Alexander Ditter, Vadym Aizinger, Balthasar Reuter, Dietmar Fey (March 2016) Cache Aware Instruction Accurate Simulation of a 3-D Coastal Ocean Model on Low Power Hardware, Proceedings of the 6th International Conference on Simulation and Modeling Methodologies, Technologies and Applications. DOI: 10.5220/0006006501290137
- Frank F., Reuter B., Aizinger V., Knabner P. (March 2015) FESTUNG: A MATLAB/GNU Octave toolbox for the discontinuous Galerkin method, Part I: Diffusion operator, Computers and Mathematics with Applications. DOI: 10.1016/j.camwa.2015.04.013
- Balthasar Reuter, Vadym Aizinger, Harald Köstler (August 2015) A multi-platform scaling study for an OpenMP parallelization of a discontinuous Galerkin ocean model, Computers & Fluids. DOI: 10.1016/j.compfluid.2015.05.020