Ongoing research project | 2017 to 2022
Satellite Application Facility on Support to Operational Hydrology and Water Management (H SAF)
ECMWF is a contributor to the core H SAF soil moisture products (see H SAF official web site) and is represented in the H SAF Steering Group and the Project Team. The ECMWF activities are centred around the development and production of scatterometer root zone soil moisture index products.
The current H SAF scatterometer root zone soil moisture products produced by ECMWF are:
- SM-DAS-2 (H14): ASCAT near-real-time root zone soil wetness index product
- RZSM-DR2019-10 (H141): Scatterometer Root Zone Soil Moisture (RZSM) Data Record 10 km resolution (1992-2018): doi.org/10.15770/EUM_SAF_H_0008
- RZSM-DR-EXT-10 (H142): Offline scatterometer Root Zone Soil Moisture (RZSM) Data Record extension (2019-2021), 10 km resolution:
- SM-DAS-3 (H27): Scatterometer Root Zone Soil Moisture (RZSM) Data Record 16 km resolution (1992-2014): doi.org/10.15770/EUM_SAF_H_0003
- SM-DAS-DR2018-EXT-16 (H140): Scatterometer Root Zone Soil Moisture (RZSM) Data Record extension 16 km resolution (2015-2016) doi.org/10.15770/EUM_SAF_H_0007
These products are issued by an independent production chain externalised from the ECMWF operational model and developed specifically for the H SAF.
H SAF is currently in continuous development and operations phase-3 (CDOP-3), 2017-2022