|Implementation date || |
3 June 2008
|See Newsletter No.116 |
|IFS Documentation CY33R1 || |
|Key characteristics of our current forecasting system || |
|Resolution || |
- HRES: TL799
- ENS: Leg A TL399
- HRES: 0.25 degrees
- ENS: 0.5 degrees
- LAW: 0.1 degrees (was 0.25)
|Data set affected || |
- Limited wave model area
|Score card || |
- modest but significant positive impact on northern hemisphere and European scores in the troposphere
- similar results were obtained for three weeks of ENS testing
|Meteorological changes || |
- Improved moist physics in tangent linear/ adjoint model used in 4D- Var assimilation.
- Re-tuned entrainment in convection scheme.
- Bug fix to scaling of freezing term in convection scheme.
- Additional shear term in diffusion coefficient of vertical diffusion.
- Increased turbulent orographic form drag.
- Fix for soil temperature analysis in areas with 100% snow cover.
- Change in surface roughness for momentum, and change in post-processing of two-metre temperature and specific humidity.
- Assimilation of AMSR-E and TMI radiances in 1D+4D-Var; assimilation OMI ozone data.
- Usage of all four wind solutions for QuikSCAT in assimilation, rather than only two previously.
- Extended coverage and increased resolution for the limited area wave model.
- Improved shallow water physics and modified advection scheme for ocean wave models.
- Introduction of two new wave model parameters: maximum wave height and corresponding wave period.
|Meteorological impacts || |
|Technical changes || - |
|Model ID || |
- Atmospheric: 132
- Ocean wave: 117
- Limited-area ocean wave: 217
|New disseminated model output ||- || |
|Discontinued disseminated model output ||- || |
|e-suite experiment number ||0037 || |