The European Centre for Medium-Range Weather Forecasts (ECMWF, the Centre)
is an independent intergovernmental organisation supported by 34 States. Its Member States are:
Greece, Iceland, Ireland,
We have concluded co-operation agreements with:
the former Yugoslav Republic of Macedonia,
Co-operation agreements have also been concluded with:
- World Meteorological Organisation (WMO)
- European Organisation for the Exploitation of Meteorological
- African Centre of Meteorological Applications for Development
- Joint Research Centre (JRC)
- Preparatory Commission for the Comprehensive Nuclear Test-Ban
Treaty Organisation (CTBTO)
- Executive Body of the Convention on Long-Range Transboundary Air
- European Space Agency (ESA)
Originally a COST (European Co-operation in Science and Technology) project,
the Centre was established in 1975 when its Convention entered into force.
The first real-time medium-range forecasts were made in June 1979. The
Centre has been producing operational medium-range weather forecasts since
1 August 1979.
The objectives of the centre
According to Article 2(2) of the ECMWF Convention, the principal objectives of the Centre are:
- development and operation of global models and data-assimilation systems for the dynamics, thermodynamics and composition of the Earth's fluid envelope and interacting parts of the Earth-system, with a view to:
- preparing forecasts by means of numerical methods;
- providing initial conditions for the forecasts; and
- contributing to monitoring the relevant parts of the Earth-system;
- carrying out scientific and technical research directed towards improving the quality of these forecasts;
- collection and storage of appropriate data.
In addition, the Centre:
- makes available to the Member States, in the most appropriate form, the results provided for in (a) and (b) and the data referred to in (c)
- assists in implementing programmes of the World Meteorological Organization;
- provides advanced training to the scientific staff of the Member and Co-operating States in the field of numerical weather prediction;
- makes the data in its extensive archives available to outside bodies.
ECMWF is ISO 9001:2008 accredited:
ECMWF holds ISO 9001:2008 accreditation and, wherever practical, requires that its suppliers also hold such accreditation.